Saturday, July 31, 2010

A color challenge





With my recent fascination to blogs, I have been exposed to lots of challenges. I love them! I think it's a great way to get my "mo-jo" flowin', and they get me creating. I am not really sure which blog came first or how I got around to so many different ones, but I think I found this challenge through Marlene's hands on blog. She mentioned some challenges, and she was able to link me right to the other pages... I am going to try... (no promises... I do cards, not technology). This particular challenge was from here (Just Add Ink). {On a totally separate note, yeah me! I did it!! Well, my husband had to help just a little bit}

So the challenge is to create a man card using baja breeze, chocolate chip and kraft... uh... excuse me, crumb cake. Here's my creation. I used an embossing folder that I got at the scrapbooking show I mentioned below. It is a wood grain look that is pretty cool. I sponged a bit of black ink to bring out the grain a bit more. I stamped the owl from the Goody-Goody Gumdrops set. I stamped him in Espresso ink on Crumb Cake and used my markers to color him in. His breast is baja, and his face is Crumb Cake. I cheated a bit and used Mustard to color in his feet and beak (don't disqualify me, please!) Then I sponged some baja breeze on the edges of the crumb cake. Then, I layered that piece on a piece of the baja breeze. I popped that up on the front of the card and then used my word window and modern label punch to put the happy birthday on the front. Then I put some crystal effects on his eyes! I love how it turned out!

I always tend to make two of each card and change something up a bit. Here I have placed the sentiment off to the right and cut it off a bit.



Bonus: my brother-in-law who is very hip and cool loves owls (well... to be fair, in our family, when someone says they like something, the rest of us decide that means that person "loves" it, and we start giving said person any and every thing that has to do with the item the person said they liked.) My point? This will be his birthday card! (I am sure that he is not reading my blog. That'll show him!)

So.... I cased myself! The bottom card of this post is the card I created a few weeks ago for my good friend Susan. Long story short, Susan and I went to our first scrapbooking show and were floored by all we got to see. However, we got a hoot (pun intended) out of all the owl things that we saw. Yeah...owls are popular right now... I get it!!! However, neither Susan and I are that "in" to owls. Clearly, we are not hip. Nevertheless, I do have a couple owl stamps from some Stampin' Up sets that I have. So I made this owl card and sent it to Susan. Trust me... it was funny! (but you had to be there...) Thanks for looking!

11 comments:

Danielle Daws said...

Great cards, Lisa! Thanks for playing at Just Add Ink!

SusanC said...

These are "owlfully" cute! I really like the woodgrain. Very creative idea and great job!

Hands On said...

Nicely done! How funny! I always make two cards too! Just a little different. My second is ususally better.

Liam said...

Nice work. Love the crystal effects on the eyes of the owl. Really great male cards.

Liam

Naomi said...

Great card Lisa, I love the woodgrain background.

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Both cards are adorable. TFS.

Mama Meade said...

I like the owls, but I LOVE the commentary about our family. We TOTALLY do that.

Krista said...

Great card !

Jo said...

Both cards are gorgeous. I especially love the woodgrain embossing folder. Do you have any details about it so I can try and source one myself??? :)

Lisa said...

Jo, it's Sizzix embossing envelope. I got it at a scrapbooking show, but I'll bet if you googled it, you could find it. Good luck!

Mae Collins said...

Owls are definitely the cutest thing at the moment on cards! Thanks for playing.